• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be charged interest on a collection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calpilotmike

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Can a collection business who buys a debt I owed a company charge me interest on that debt if I've never agreed to the debt in the first, and have made no contract with either the original party or the collection agency? I contacted them last year and tried to arrange a payment plan but they would not allow me to. I can't see how they can just go ahead and charge interest without me agreeing to the terms at all. Is there some law in California that allows them to?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

JETX

Can a collection business who buys a debt I owed a company charge me interest on that debt if I've never agreed to the debt in the first, and have made no contract with either the original party or the collection agency?
Of course they can charge interest. Whether they get away with it or not depends on the agreement you signed.

I can't see how they can just go ahead and charge interest without me agreeing to the terms at all. Is there some law in California that allows them to?
We have NO idea what you might have obligated yourself for or what its terms are. What did the creditor say when you asked them these questions??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">