• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I adopt my cousin's daughter's while keeping them away from their abusive mother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kassinova

All night I have been ubable to sleep because of my cousin's beautiful daughters. My cousin is 27, but his education stops at around fifth grade due to lack of care from his mother. The mother of the daughters is highly abusive and smokes weed as well as the the father. Jessica, the mother, pulls around her daughter's by their hair and leaves bruises all around their tiny four and five year old bodies. The mother and father are seperated and are currently going through a custody battle. My cousin tries to do well, but fails because of certain people he surrounds himself with. I only want whats best for the girls and I feel as though I am whats best for them. My question is can I adopt the girls and still be able to have the father visit, but not the mother? I am in my last year of high school and will be turning 19 shortly. My family will support me all the way and will help if ever i needed it.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
My question is can I adopt the girls and still be able to have the father visit, but not the mother? I am in my last year of high school and will be turning 19 shortly.
Aside from all the other reasons why this adoption wouldn't happen, nobody is going to allow a high school student to adopt two children. Or one child, for that matter.

You can protect them from abuse by contacting local child services.

And in anticipation of "But what about...." or "But what if...." ---seriously, no. You're not going to be able to adopt these children.

Isis1

at 19? higly unlikely.

if the children are being abused in the manner that you state YOU NEED TO CONTACT SOCIAL SERVICES IMMEDIATELY.

Kassinova

I was afraid of that. I cannot call the police because i would be disowned from my family, also Jessica has already demanded drug test be taken from Justin, the father. Why is it that when someone demands drug tests the other does not take them? The same thing is happening to a friend of mine. To add to that we have proven that she was beating them and yet the court ruled it out because they didnt have a vaild date and they said " They are little kids the bruises could have come from anywhere."! The bruises look like fingerprints. Does anyone know of anything that would cause a bruise to look like that because I don't.

The kids live over in the seattle area and i live in Spokane would it be possible to have my parents adopt them or possibly anyone else in my family more adequate of taking care of them?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I was afraid of that. I cannot call the police because i would be disowned from my family

would it be possible to have my parents adopt them or possibly anyone else in my family more adequate of taking care of them?
If you refuse to call people who can help these children because you're afraid of what will happen to you, you're the last person in the world who should adopt them, regardless of your age.

The first step to an adoption would be to have the parents' rights terminated. That's a very specific process based on very specific criteria, and it's not something an Internet forum can help you with. Nor is it something your parents or anyone else should do on their own. If someone wants to adopt them, they need to see an attorney. There's no way around that.

But I will tell you that an adoption against the will of the parents has maybe a 1% chance, and that's a generous guess.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
" They are little kids the bruises could have come from anywhere."! The bruises look like fingerprints. Does anyone know of anything that would cause a bruise to look like that because I don't.
Yep - check out Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
My son had that (at about 4 years of age). I spent nearly 6 hours in the ER with him and two police officers (one on each side of me) taking as many pictures as they could. Lucky for me that a doctor coming on duty actually recognized what was going on. Once the diagnosis was made, the police handed me the film, said good night and left.

With that said...

GOOD GOD! Call the police! Call child protective services! If you really ARE concerned about the well-being of the child, you will do this. What's more important? The safety of the child, or you being in good graces with the family?!?

Gracie3787

Yep - check out Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
My son had that (at about 4 years of age). I spent nearly 6 hours in the ER with him and two police officers (one on each side of me) taking as many pictures as they could. Lucky for me that a doctor coming on duty actually recognized what was going on. Once the diagnosis was made, the police handed me the film, said good night and left.
Wow, so few people have even heard of ITP. My son was 16 and in a mental health camp when he showed up with bruises. Like you, thank God there was a smart Dr who ran a CBC and discovered that my son's platelet count was only 15,000. (it eventually fell to 1,500- scary). Unfortunately, the ITP still progressed into Aplastic Anemia and we almost lost him, but he's been in remission now for almost 10 yrs.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wow, so few people have even heard of ITP. My son was 16 and in a mental health camp when he showed up with bruises. Like you, thank God there was a smart Dr who ran a CBC and discovered that my son's platelet count was only 15,000. (it eventually fell to 1,500- scary). Unfortunately, the ITP still progressed into Aplastic Anemia and we almost lost him, but he's been in remission now for almost 10 yrs.
My son was at approx 5,000 iirc. Luckily, he responded well to the platelet infusions they gave him. This was about 13 years ago...
I was reported by his day care worker. I saw the bruises, but KNEW nothing untoward had happened, so I figured that my hyperactive little boy just played hard.

Farfalla

If you call the abuse in, you do not have to give your name. No one has to know that it is you calling.

Have you personally witnessed the abuse... from what you wrote it sounds like you did see some.

Nativity

I only want whats best for the girls and I feel as though I am whats best for them.
Before you can even dream about wanting to be a parent to these two girls you must know what the word Parent means:

par·ent (pâr'ənt, păr'-)
n.
A guardian; a protector.
One who will die or kill for their children; no matter who would disown them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">