• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Screwed by a bail bondsman HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hbernard

Texas: I have a friend who was arrested in Midland, Texas in 2005. He was assigned an attorney from El Paso who assured him that he would be given a bond. The attorney connected my friend with a bail bondsman also from El Paso. They told my friend that he would need $30,000. My friend was here illegally from Trinidad, West Indies so he contacted his family there and they wired the money to the bail bondsman (after selling almost everything they owned). The bail bondsman sent a letter to my friend's brother stating that he received the money and that if for any reason my friend was unable to get bonded he would return the money. WELL, he was not granted a bond. This was a federal case (drug possession with intent to sell). He is now in prison in Georgia. The bail bondsman has not returned his money. My friend has tried on several occasions to contact the bail bondsman. The last time he spoke with him he threatened my friend and told him not to call him anymore. They have since changed addresses and phone number. My friend also contacted tihe assigned attorney and he too told him not to call him anymore. My take on this case is that the attorney and the bail bondsman knew that my friend would not be bonded and furthermore knew that once he was released from prison that he would be sent back to Trinidad with no way of fighting this case. I have copies of both the wire transfer as well as the letter sent to my friend's family. I have also been able to get the new contact information for the bail bondsman. Is there any advice on what we can do from here? He has no money to hire an attorney unless they are willing to take the case and receive payment upon winning the case and retrieving the $30,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">