• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Web Hosting Comapny Refuses to Cancel Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theriaque

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hi There:

I'm having a problem that I hope someone can help me with. Several years ago I purchased and used Web server space from a Web Hosting company in Portland, OR (I live in northern Florida). The billing cycle was always monthly and my account was always paid in full.

About a year ago, I decided to move to another Web hosting company. I have tried to cancel my service with the Portland, OR company but they have been totally non-responsive. They continue to bill me and send me automated emails that say that I owe them money for the period after which I canceled their service. (I paid for the service up through the month that I last used their service and was subsequently forced to cancel my credit card in order to stop their auto-charges.)

In terms of canceling, here's what I did: I placed at least two requests through their electronic support system (I have screenshots of the cancellation request in their system, as well as a screenshot that shows my service was billed on a "monthly" basis [it was not a yearly contract]); I called and left messages on their answering machine (got no response); filed a complaint through Oregon's Better Business Bureau, but the Portland-based company did not respond to the BBB's letter and the case was closed by the BBB as "unanswered".

What can I do? How do I get these guys to cancel my account and stop billing me? Although they have not threatened to do so, month-by-month the bill increases, and I am concerned that they will eventually turn the account over to a collection bureau.... Please Help!

Thanks in advance for your advice,

-Theriaque

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You know...years before the internet and email and all that fancy-smancy stuff, people would actually WRITE letters.

Theriaque

Excellent and helpful point....

Actually, I _did_ send them a letter too - registered - with print outs of the online cancellation I had requested. (Forgot to mention this is my earlier post). As you might guess, I got no reply from this either.

-Theriaque

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">