• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shocked in south Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

honeyporkchop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just received a letter from my brother, who is an inmate in a federal prison, serving a 15 year sentence. I haven't heard from him in several years, since the day before he went on the run to evade capture (Costa Rica). I did send money to the prison, to his account, several months ago, when I found out where he was at.

He has a 9 year old biological daughter. The mother hasn't been heard from in several years. (They were not married.) She delivered the child to him in Costa Rica. He did marry and impregnate another girl in CR, she was 5 months pregnant when he was picked up and extradited to the US to stand trial. The state department picked up the biological daughter to repatriate her into the US. She was placed in foster care for 8 months, until my brother could find a family (friends of his) to take her in. The State Department claims they could NOT find me, even though I had the same address, phone numbers, email address and job for many years. (Also, the IRS certainly knew where I was at, as did the FBI, since they came to my home looking for him, at one point.) Certainly the penal institution he resides in knew where I was at as of Jan. of this year, required info on the Western Union MO I sent him.

His daughter was just adopted in June, by the family that took her in.
I do not understand why a) they removed the child from her stepmother and half-brother, b) why no serious attempt was made to find me c)if I have any rights or recourse against the government.

My brother does get to speak to his daughter, and apparently, they write back and forth, but I feel as if I should have been the one to adopt her. From what I've read in these forums, the adoption cannot be reversed.

Any advice? Anything?

momofrose

Just because you are a relative of your fugitive brother does not make you next in line to adopt this child. This child has been living and loved by the family that took her in and they adopted her in June. That adoption is final. Unless there is proof that there was fraud or diress on the part of the bio parents, thereis nothing you can do. You are therefore a legal stranger to this child. You should be thanking your lucky stars that the adoptive parents of this child allow the bio-father to even communicate with her.

Your brother should have given your name to the state- seemed he did not think of you.

d

honeyporkchop

He *did* give my name to the state department, as he wanted me to be the first in line to adopt her. They claim they were unable to find me, but I call BS on that, for the reasons stated above.

honeyporkchop

Yes, I did, her entire life, up until he went on the run.
I spoke to her and her bio-mom the day after he disappeared.
The following day, all bio-Mom's phones had been turned off, and she had vacated her house. I assumed the three of them were together, somewhere, but as it happens, the bio-Mom abandoned the child with her mother, who was unable to care for her. Since then, she's been bounced from place to place and home to home. I understand that she is happy and healhy in her present circumstances, and for that, at least, I'm grateful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">