• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cerfew Violation can he fight it ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandy53

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA, My daughters boyfriend about 16 yr. old (before they were boyfriend/girlfriend ) Just received a note on his door. It said they had a warrant for his arrest. His mother took him to see what it was for and they said cerfew violation. There is a fine. The story I heard was he was about 50 ft. from his house on the corner and the local police told him he HAD to sign a paper before he could go home. He didn't know what he was signing but since that was the only option so he could go home he did. Basically he said he was guilty of cerfew violation. So now there is a fine which the family can not afford. The local township makes up thier own laws ( ex. no cell phone used while driving ) It is a certain family that more or less thinks they can run the township. Is there any way he can fight this ? I think telling the kid he can't go home until he signs the paper sounds wrong especially he was maybe three houses away from his front door. Can they fight this ?
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zaaz

Most curfew fines I have seen are in the $25-$100 range.

The Officer more than likely issued the teen a criminal violation summons/citation for the curfew violation. You HAVE to sign them no matter who or where you are. If you don't sign them than you get arrested. The person's signature on a summons/citation is not stating they are guilty, its saying you will pay the fine or show up to court to contest it.

Did the teen keep his copy of the summons/citation from that night?

The Occultist

If your son hadn't signed the citation, he would have been arrested and taken to jail; would you have preferred that scenario?

If your son has a clean record, and it can be proven that he wasn't up to "no good" while he was breaking curfew, then it's possible to see some form of leniency from the court which might include a reduced fine.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The local township makes up thier own laws ( ex. no cell phone used while driving )
This is the law in numerous states, so it's not exactly something your township made up to be a pita. It's actually a good thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">