• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DOUBLE JEOPARDY?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dngerbird

i'm in NC. i plead guilty to 5 grams of grass and possession of paraphenalia on 07/31/2000. this morning i was served a warrant for possession of a schedule I, based on lab results from the already closed case. does this violate my fifth amendment rights?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Who charged you the second time? Different entity? If a state and fed charge you -- it is not double jeopardy. If state charges you twice for same charge or both one charge and a lesser included offense within it, you cannot be convicted of both.

D

dngerbird

lawrat,
I was charged by the great state of north carolina twice. i was looking over the copy of my judgement from july and found the magic words "remaining charges are dismissed, related to this arrest on 7-12-00" hopefully this works retroactively.thanks for gettin back to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">