• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W.C. / S.S.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BearsnWyo

I need Help with much needed advise. I have some questions or just wondering if others have been in such situations. I guess I need to start at the beginning and please be patient with me.
I hurt my back about 7 yrs. ago on the job and in the state of Wyoming. I recieved Worker's comp. benefits with a devasting fight. They humilated me, made me to be a liar and then made me go back to work full time. I had to have a fusion and was told by my Dr. that I would need another fusion in the future. He gave me 10 yrs. if I was very careful. I was back to work looking for a new career, earlier then the time I needed to heal. I found a job working as a office assistant, and then about a year later I needed another back surgery to take broken hardware out. I was back to work right away after that surgery. I complained about severe upper back and neck pain. I finally convinced the dr's that this was real pain. They found carpal and cupical tunnel sydrome. This wasn't covered under W.C. Right after these surgeries, I was found to need a quick fusion as I was unstable again. I am fused from L4 thru S1.
I was able to get on Social Sercurity benifits with out a easy fight. Right now I am having severe neck pain and arm pain. The carpal tunnel is so much worse then ever. I am so sure that all these problems are from the intial injury. I have much proof to my theory and even has been written in Dr. reports. Worker's Comp. denies to pay for any medical treatment for this. I have a court hearing coming up, but now my dr. is saying to my lawyer that the disc degeneration in my neck is not related. I am confused as I do have disc degeneration in my neck but was told that the spinal canal is wide and the fluid is running smoothly and that isn't the cause of my pain. I have had nerve testing done and they told me that everything is normal and made me feel like this pain is in my head. Without a dr. agreeing to this, I might as well back out. Now, all bills will be sent to S.S. or Medicare. I have also been told that now when I go to the pain clinic to see my Dr. and visit with my pyschologist that the billing can be separated. Wouldn't Social Sercurity have a say in this matter? I can also go back with W.C. to be re-evualated as I have a condition called archnoiditis which I don't know a whole lot about. I understand that I may be in a wheelchair and my pain will just increase with time. There isn't any help the Dr.'s can give me. I will probably be entitled to more money from W.C. but won't my S.S. benifits stop while I get money from another source? It wouldn't even be worth it to get this money.
I also have another major concern. I live in a house that isn't very handicap accessable and almost impossible to make into a handicap home. Also the city maybe making plans to build a major street thru where my house will be. My home will be torn down. I have invested alot into home improvements and for my business needs. I make bears and restore dolls. I don't make much as my disability makes it hard to work for long periods. Since I am handicap will the city have to pay for moving and helping me pack?
Does the city have to provide me a handicap accessable home? Is part of this required by law or will Worker's compensation have to provide benifits to help handicap a home? Is this for Social sercurity to provide help in this area? I am confused more now then I ever have been and have been through this for many years now. I hope there is someone that can help or share their stories.
I have felt that I have never really been treated fairly and feel strong feelings that I will be taken advantage again.

C

cheryl2

I read your story and i,m kinda going through the same kind of treatment from my job .my injury is carpul tunnel, i had two surgerys so far.mine is in my elbow.there are many web sites that tell you anything you want to know about carpul tunnel and what causes it.it helps to just read about it. hang in there, you are not alone!GOD PROTECTS THE INOCENTS.p.s. I love bears and collect them.My story is in injury accidents

C

california wrkr

you havr a friend in CA

Hey,
dont feel alone ! this stuff is common in every state... I am mostly bugged by the "presumption of guilt" that is placed on the injured worker!
Remember: The laziest people at any job do not get hurt.
The people who are most reliable and work hardest are the ones who end up injured.
if the work place had been safe, you would not be injured.

Keep networking and KEEP FIGHTING, DO NOT EVER GIVE UP...
california wrkr

B

BearsnWyo

Good to meet you

Great to hear from both of you, cheryl2 and california worker. cheryl2, I to had the surery releases in the elbow and I had to go for both arms and then also in the wrists to. They told me that my funny bone was pressing into my nerves and they had to remove the bones. I know I recieved this when I did maintenance work. All the heavy lifting and the repeative work of drilling, running screws and buffing floors. Then after hurting my back I went into a job with repeative typing and that didn't help. The Univ. where I worked at said that I couldn't prove it so Worker's Comp. wouldn't support it. Now the pain in my hand has gotten so much worse and is going into my other hand. With all the x-rays I have had they can't find out why I am having these problems again and I know it is from the stress that has been placed on my upper muscles, compensating for the non use of the lower back muscles. I have been told my muscles are shot and I am way passed the fibromylsia. But yet my dr.'s aren't going to support this, even though they have told me this, and now my lawyer tells me that I don't have a case. What anger's me is that all these dr.'s that don't even know me can evualate my body and tell me what is going on, but never has Worker's Comp. asked the person that lives in this body and that suffers from this horrible chronic pain. I wish I wasn't feeling so angry aobut my situation and just learn to have peace. Every since my back injury I have been discriminated against, treated like I was faking it, humilated and to the point of suicide several times. Some kids were mocking me the other day because I use a cane. I just don't understand people and am having a hard time dealing with it all. Yes, california worker, your words are so true about the people that get hurt, are the ones that work the hardest. My fellow worker's treated me like I had a brain injury when I tried to go back to work after my back surgery. They also left me stuck with the heavy work while they ran the computer and phones. They told me that I needed to make up for all the extra work I caused them. The thing that bothers me is they are still there, with raises and promotions. My boss got into trouble once over this discrimination but didn't help with the other workers. Well, I didn't mean to ramble. Just wanted to let you know that I am glad to hear from you both. cheryl2, please check out my web page and see the pictures of my bears and my art work. It is http://pages.about.com/dolls2fix

C

cheryl2

hey, its really nice to hear from other people that have the same feelings i do. yes they do make you feel guilty and worthless even though you got hurt doing a good job for them.i'll never give up ,if anything i'll make there life a living h---.just like the've made mine.i'm from salinas,ca now i live in florida.you two have great day tommorow.i'll check out the bears.

C

california wrkr

hi to you both

I am working on reading the replys, and serving dinner (at nine pm)... bear with my slowness, seems i can not move my neck to lookup of to the left today, sighghgh
californiawrkr

C

california wrkr

small hope for you...

bearsnwyo?
I love it , great handle! I have an ancient stieffe bear that I was given as a small child in the 60's, plus many others.
The reason i am responding is that I feel bad that your co-workers were so cruel. SInce the time to do anything about that kind of thing may be (statute of limitation) up, let me tell you that if you ever wish to try to get into the work force again (non self employed) try your local non profits, they are wonderful to work for, especially independent living centers, the pay is not top dollars, but they have good benifits and the peer support of working with others who have physical, health or mental limitations can't be beat.
My story is available on injured workers for change. org I am an injured hospital worker.
I too now have nerve damage and today is pretty crummy.
after 12 years of working muy buns off at the same hospital while they downsized every possible body for profit to the CEOs once I got hurt i got critical statements like "enjoying your time off?" when they would see me in the hall on the way to the thrice weekly pt (1997 and just moved up to 2 x weekly last month)
In october i went before the judge at the WCAB and was awarded a settlement amount and lifetime medical care, I have (diagnosed by 2 personal MDs, 1 IME and an AME) myofacial pain syndrome, and the adjuster refuses to authorize the perscribed pain clinic (YES SINCE OCTOBER 2000) Thank the lord that my supervisor suggested i take it up with my health care provider at Kaiser, he is not in the loop and is treating my pain from the perspective that left untreated, I will not be able to work or function. True it is a sneaky way to get the care that workers comp. is supposed to provide but wont, but the options are really desperate. Please remember, that if you take your life, you GIVE them the win, and it wont help family as most insurances do not cover sucide. It is more of a problem to them if you fight and get involved with the local government/advocacy groups and Independent living centers in your area.. I will be happy to help you in finding them if you would like.
californiawrkr

C

cheryl2

hello, again you two. as long as you are seeing a doctor there is no statue of limatations.also if you cannot perform the job you once did, they have to pay to send you to school for retraining.also mileage.my lawyer is working on a settlement now.and retraining one good thing that came out of this i met two new friends.whe're having a lighting storm now so i better shutdown for now,you two have a great night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">