• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Deal Gone Bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sotired2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I was behind on my car payments and needed some help. I found a young lady who was willing to pay the back car payments(which was $1200) and take over the car. I agreed and things went well the first month. After the first month, she began sending the payments later and later, this month she only sent a partial payment. I was wondering what recourse I have in obtaining the car back. She is stating that she will give the car back if I give her the $1200 back. As I explained to her, and per our contract, the $1200 was to pay the back car payments for her to obtain the car. That money was used for that. I dont feel as though she she get that money back as it was more or less her decision to take over the car and pay that amount, sort of like a downpayment. When you go to a dealership and get a car, you put down a downpayment, if the come back and repo the car, you cant ask for the downpayment back. I want to take the car back, which everything is still in my name, but I want to make sure that I will not get arrested for taking the car. The terms of our contract clearly stated the amount due for the payments and the due date. She has not been accordance with these terms. Any Help?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">