• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scams and Cheating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnkmon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

We bought a car from a used car dealership and after paying for a year (and having numerous things repaired in the car), I went and checked the bank statements. When we would go down to the dealership to make a $100.00 payment, the owner would give us a receipt for $100... but in the bank statements, it shows that he charged 200, 300, sometimes more on our debit card. What can I do? :confused:

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

We bought a car from a used car dealership and after paying for a year (and having numerous things repaired in the car), I went and checked the bank statements. When we would go down to the dealership to make a $100.00 payment, the owner would give us a receipt for $100... but in the bank statements, it shows that he charged 200, 300, sometimes more on our debit card. What can I do? :confused:
What is your payment schedual ?

Were these extra charges for repairs ?

jnkmon

Our payment schedule is to pay $46 every week. But since it's a far drive, we go every 2 weeks and pay $100.00. The dealership is aware of this. Any "maintenance fees" get tacked on to the end of the bill. The payments that we made were $100, and he wrote the receipt stating it as such. I asked for a statement from the dealer that shows everything we paid on the car and it claims we only paid $100 each time even though they took more than that without permission.

So he didn't even credit our account for the money he took from us but he tacked on any service charges to our bill.

BL

Next time you go to make your payment , take what you have and compare it to what they have , and point out what's been going on .

Talk to your bank about the money the dealer has been taking out , and make it so the dealer can't take any money from the account .

This is general advice , so read your contract and anything you signed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">