• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on Breaking off a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annamfang

I reside in IL. We had a contractor knocking on our door to tell us that we had hail damages in our neighborhood and should file a claim to our insurance company for repairs. I signed a form stating that they will repair sidings and roofing if the insurance company approves the work. So I did and we got approved to do the repairs. They did the same thing to all of my neighbors and all got approved. Our next door neighbor had his siding replaced right away by this contractor and we find they use very cheap materials and didn't do a good job. Some of the sidings still are protruding outward. We got approved for $30,000 repairs and we don't feel comfortable using this contractor when there's nothing online about their company, no references and their low quality repairs so we decided not to use this contractor. Now the back of the form I signed had a clause that if we don't choose them for repairs, we owe them 25% of the total approved estimate. They have not started any work, not bought any materials. By the way, the form asked for home owner's signature at the bottom which I'm not. House is under my husband's name and he never signed anything. Please advise if the form I signed is binding contract? Will it stand up in the court? What is the best way to break this contract. We are willing to pay $500 for them meeting our insurance adjuster. Other than that, they have not done anything. Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">