• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

My boyfriend and I purchased a car from a man here in Louisiana, but after purchasing it, we found out he had never put the title into his name. The title shows the original owners name, who then sold it to a licensed dealer (in Massachusetts), who then sold it to the man we bought it from. I have read online that, unless you are a licensed dealer, it is illegal to sell a car without first transferring the title into your own name.

We re-contacted the guy who sold the car to us, who said he will not go get the title transferred to his name. He told us to just file for lost title, but this will not work because then we would need the registered owner (3 owners back) to be involved.

Can anyone help me with this? What is our best course of action at this point?

Thanks!

Sarah

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the bad guy for the amount you paid for the vehicle. You will have to return the vehicle.
(The seller has to be able to give you a clear title)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">