• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

process for questioning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugbugsmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My Step Son has been contacted to come in and answer questions about an alleged Sexual assault on a minor. This incident supposedly happed 2 years ago when he was fifteen and residing with his father and I ,in our house. He has lived in CA for the past year and a half. The detective in charge said he could have a phone interview W/O the parents present because off my Stepsons age(17). When he called my Stepson he requested an in person interview here in GA. We were told there is no warrent, it is just questioning. Should we have legal representation? Should we allow him to be questioned alone or demand to be present? We have no idea. We do know he has done nothing wrong and feel he should answer questions to defend himself. But will he do more harm then good?:confused:

Zaaz

Is he a suspect, witness or victim? If he is a suspect, a lawyer should tell you not to answer any questions.

outonbail

Do not allow him to answer any questions over the phone or in person without an attorney present to represent him. There is nothing to be gained by him speaking to the police but the potential legal troubles that can arise out of his speaking to the police are endless.

It will not make any difference if you are present during the interview or not, but he must have qualified legal representation in his corner, or he will be taken into custody!

There is a recent thread on this site where we advised someone not to speak with the police without an attorney present. This person did not take our advice and was arrested following the interview. I will try to locate it and post a link to it so you can educate yourself as to why it is imperative that he have a lawyer present during all questioning!

Here's the link you need to read. While it concerns a different crime, the point about not speaking with the police, holds true in most all criminal cases.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/drug-charges-28/possible-prescription-forgery-help-423918.html

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">