• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Game Hardware Return Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NoComment

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I purchased a new Xbox 360 pro and a game from Radio Shack earlier this week using a Bank of America debit card. When I got home the xbox did not work right out of the box.

The next morning I returned the unit as soon as store opened. I talked with the assistant manager. He looked looked over everything checked the serial numbers. Since all of the parts were present and I was complaint with the stores return policy that he would do the refund. I was told that he could not do a cash refund. He cited that his till was not large enough.

The following morning I received a message for the stores manager to inform me that
"I have problem with your return processing. I need you to come back to the store so we can umm... reprocess it." (I still have the message saved.)

When I took a break from work returned to the store. They informed me that they would not process the return for the following reasons.
1. The case was dirty with very faint black marks.
2. The unit was dirty "inside."
3. "The accessories had never been opened."
4. The Pro system does not have a HDMI port only the 'Premium' version does.
5. The AC adapter did not fit.

I was then rudely asked me to take my merchandise and to leave the store.

I have never hear of a store reversing a return 24 hours after the fact and so I checked the serial against the on appearing on the receipt. They did not match. When I pointed the miss match out to the manager. I was told that the "Gaming Hardware Serial Number" which appears on the receipt refers to an internal bar code system used at radio shack and not the serial appearing on xbox. However the two number did match the previous day when I did the initial return.

When I question her about why a return was processed in the first place I told that she had canceled within ten minutes of me leaving the store. This meant that I was issued a receipt reflecting a refund even though she had no planed to refuse the refund.

I was informed that the police had been called and I was asked to leave the store again. I sat down and called my bank's. While I was on hold with banks debit card dispute center the manager continued to be overtly hostile by yelling that I was a con artist hoping that the call center would over hear. I was told several more times that I needed to leave before the police or security showed up. I was also offered partial refunds if I left the store with the merchandise.

After I completed my call told her that I would let the bank handle the dispute. I thanked her for her time and then left the store with out the xbox with the wrong serial number. She told me that under no conditions would she ever give me a refund.

Currently I have no merchandise or a refund. The above statement is what I wanted to express to the dispute department at my bank. Any thought on the statement would be appreciated. Also if the charge back is not successful what other steps could I take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">