• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto purchase issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

salvatore1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Bought a used car out of state with an extended warranty.

Dealership mailed the warranty paperwork with US Post Office and it was lost in the mail. I never received them and they say they can not regenerate the documents so I am out of a warranty.

I told them I would take them to court and they reply that the purchase contract shows that "no other verbal or written agreements" exist other than the purchase of the car.

However, a week later I get an email from the owner of the dealership that states "we will pay half the cost of a new policy to compensate you for the one lost in the mail"

Is it worth to go to small claims with the email as evidence that they were negligent or will the magistrate refer to the contract and say "too bad"?

thanks

seniorjudge

Q: Is it worth to go to small claims with the email as evidence that they were negligent or will the magistrate refer to the contract and say "too bad"?

A: No one knows. But this sounds like a good settlement offer:

However, a week later I get an email from the owner of the dealership that states "we will pay half the cost of a new policy to compensate you for the one lost in the mail"

salvatore1

The policy they are selling is $2800 and I would have to pay $1400.

1. I should not have to pay for something that was supposed to included in the purchase of the car

2. They are selling this at a profit, most likey 100%, because local Audi dealership has same policy which retails for $1700 so they will have no out of pocket costs to sell this to me if they can buy it for half.

3. I said just send me your share of the $1400 and I will buy my own policy, they of course said no.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok was the purchase of the warranty actually listed in the sales contract?

salvatore1

as in the OP, nothing else is written on the purchase contract about a warranty, hence, my question about the strength of the email correspondence of the seller.

thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">