• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Window Tinting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danaorace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

In February of 2008 I purchased a used 2006 Chevy Silverado Pickup from a reputable used car dealership. They sold the vehicle to me and inspected it for 5 months (up to my birthday month). Now that the inspection is up I went to the same dealership to have them re-inspect it. They told me the vehicle would not pass inspection due the aftermarket tinting on the windshield and windows right and left of the driver, in order for the truck to pass inspection the tinting would have to be removed, a messy ordeal of which they would be glad to charge me to remove. Now keep in mind I purchased the vehicle from them as it is currently today, with all the tinting. I told them that they passed its inspection back in February (5 months ago) and nothing was said about the tinting then. To which one of the workers stated that it was a new law that just went into affect.

Upon further investigation I reviewed NH State RSA 266:58 a. This RSA refers to tinting regulations on automobiles. The first sentence of the RSA states that it is unlawful to sell or inspect a vehicle with aftermarket tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver. This means the dealership illegally sold and inspected a vehicle of which they sold to me. My belief is that they were aware of the law at the time, but in order to not lose the sale they let it "slide" through. My issue is that I purchased the vehicle for what it was, including the tinted windows. For them to go and remove the tinting would be against what I purchased, inevitably falsifying the vehicle I purchased.

I am curious what kind of legal recourse I may have for this situation? One thought was to make them replace the windows with OEM factory tinted glass that is legal or seek some kind of cash back settlement from them. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dana

BL

Tell them to fix it for FREE , or you will call and make a complaint to your State's DMV inspection division .

If they won't fix it , file the complaint , or sue in small claims .

Get estimates of the removal for court .

CourtClerk

Upon further investigation I reviewed NH State RSA 266:58 a. This RSA refers to tinting regulations on automobiles. The first sentence of the RSA states that it is unlawful to sell or inspect a vehicle with aftermarket tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver.
To which one of the workers stated that it was a new law that just went into affect.
So... is the law new or not. You said you found the law, but you failed to mention when it went into effect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">