• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer took back offer...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jolynn123

About 2 weeks ago I was offered a position with a company for which I really wanted to work. It was an entry level position, which I understood and I had no experience in this particular field. I never recieved a written offer but I was told verbally that I had the position and the salary. Going off this verbal offer I put in my 2 week notice to resign from my current position at my current company. Then just 2 days after I pt in my 2 weeks the new company called and said that the president of the company did not approve the offer. He felt I would be too bored at the position and said they were going to "restructure" the department and they no longer had a need to fill that particular position. And there were no similar positions available in any other departments. So I phone my current employer and begged for my job back and they agreed on a temporary basis while I look for other employment. I am very upset because prior to my giving notice I was an exemplary employee and the next in line for a promtion. Now my current employer does not think I am committed to the position and therefore I am sure will not offer me any more responsibilities or promotions. I was not entirely unhappy with my current employer, I was just wanting to explore other career opportunities. This company has ruined my career with my current employer. And it will take at least a month to find something else. Do I have any legal rights since the new company gave me a verbal offer?

Thank you,
JoLynn

ALawyer

It all depends on the EXACT terms of that offer, but as almost all employers hire "at will" and you were entry level, I doubt that this is a case worth fighting with your own money, and I doubt any good lawyer would handle it on a contingency basis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">