• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Runaway question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheFisherman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi,

We recently took my son to a wilderness camp in Utah. He consented to go and willingly got on the plane. Getting to that point is another story.

He has a friend (I'll call him Joe) who kept egging my son on "put up a fight" or "run away" so he did not have to go to the camp. We found out that the night before our flight - someone was going to break my son out. We called the parents of several likely kids who might help my son run away.

The mother of Joe was adament that her boy would never be a part of such a plan. My wife asked her kindly to just keep an eye out for anything suspicious. She went out instead and then came home and passed out.

Fast forward to 3:30 AM. My wife and I stayed up all night making sure that he did not split. My wife notified me that she saw a car that looked like Joe's. It turns out that he had been driving around for over 3 hours waiting for my son to get away.

We called the boys parents - and they said to just send him home. Joe's parents did not even know he was gone. We live about 30 minutes away. We had our boy and the threat was gone so we went back inside. A few hours later we were on the plane.

Joe and his parents fail to see how serious his actions are. They are smug about it in fact.

I want to know what the potential legal issues that could have arisen if we did not intervene or if we decided to press charges. The details are below.

My son - 16 years 7 months.
Joe - 17 years 6 months.
Joe is at my house at 3:30 AM. There is a local curfew - I don't know if it applies to 17 year olds.
The plan was for Joe to drive my son from PA to a vacation house in MD. Drop him off and then Joe goes home before he gets caught. My son had some money so I guess he could buy food.

Other than curfew - is there any other laws that were broken?

Thanks,

Fisherman

seniorjudge

Q: I want to know what the potential legal issues that could have arisen if we did not intervene or if we decided to press charges.

A: Against whom and for what?

TheFisherman

Against the 17.5 year old or against the parents.

Kidnapping, endangering the welfare of a minor, basically enabling and coercing my son into running away.

So basically if we had told the police to come to the house - (my wife had called them earlier and then told them to not come when my son was home safely) what would the police have done?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi,

We recently took my son to a wilderness camp in Utah. He consented to go and willingly got on the plane. Getting to that point is another story.

He has a friend (I'll call him Joe) who kept egging my son on "put up a fight" or "run away" so he did not have to go to the camp. We found out that the night before our flight - someone was going to break my son out. We called the parents of several likely kids who might help my son run away.

The mother of Joe was adament that her boy would never be a part of such a plan. My wife asked her kindly to just keep an eye out for anything suspicious. She went out instead and then came home and passed out.

Fast forward to 3:30 AM. My wife and I stayed up all night making sure that he did not split. My wife notified me that she saw a car that looked like Joe's. It turns out that he had been driving around for over 3 hours waiting for my son to get away.

We called the boys parents - and they said to just send him home. Joe's parents did not even know he was gone. We live about 30 minutes away. We had our boy and the threat was gone so we went back inside. A few hours later we were on the plane.

Joe and his parents fail to see how serious his actions are. They are smug about it in fact.

I want to know what the potential legal issues that could have arisen if we did not intervene or if we decided to press charges. The details are below.

My son - 16 years 7 months.
Joe - 17 years 6 months.
Joe is at my house at 3:30 AM. There is a local curfew - I don't know if it applies to 17 year olds.
The plan was for Joe to drive my son from PA to a vacation house in MD. Drop him off and then Joe goes home before he gets caught. My son had some money so I guess he could buy food.

Other than curfew - is there any other laws that were broken?

Thanks,

Fisherman
According to your post, nothing happened.

TheFisherman

You are right - and very literal.

What I should have said is this:

IF Joe had picked up my son and taken him to Maryland from our home in PA - all without our permission - would Joe have broken the law in anyway?

TheFisherman

The only thing that was hypothetical is the getaway. I was just looking for some help in determining what kind of trouble Joe would have been in if he had taken my kid out of state.

If that is not something that you all can/will answer then I will stop writing. Thanks for your time.

Fish

CdwJava

Well, it requires knowledge of some specific laws in PA to determine whether any would be broken ... frankly, I doubt anyone is willing to look them up with any detail. Not to mention the fact that PA's laws are not archived on the internet like every other state- they are incomplete and located in a couple of unofficial locations, so researching PA law from long distance can be quite laborious.

From what you describe, it would seem that Joe might be guilty of a conspiracy to aid in the delinquency of a minor, but that's likely a low level misdemeanor and may not apply at all to minors in PA. Had he gotten your son and dropped him off, then a number of possibilities would then arise - including crimes possibly related to transporting a minor across state lines .. but, without another criminal purpose, I doubt the feds would get involved in any prosecution for aiding a fellow kid running away. PA might have pursued Joe for contributing to the delinquency and maybe some form of custodial interference offense.

While it is safe to say that Joe almost certainly would have committed some crime had he gotten your son to Maryland, as it is the most I can see is a conspiracy offense that might not even apply in your state.

- Carl

TheFisherman

Carl,

Thank you very much for responding. Thanks for bringing up the lack of availability of PA law info. I had searched quite a bit before positng here in the first place - now I know why I was unsuccessful finding anything.

Your "take" on the situation is helpful in understanding the situaion and potential outcomes.

Thanks again

Fish

CdwJava

You're welcome.

And good luck with your son. I hope he gets something positive out of his experience at the camp.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">