• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my grandson and his ex. ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL (I am in California but asking a question re Florida law.) I have a grandson in jail he was sentenced to 6 years youthful offender. Is the entire 6 years served on this since it is youthful offender or is it like any other sentence 85% is served? I watch cops and all that kind of shows and I see that much more sever crimes that are committed get much lighter sentences than my grandson. Is there any mediation that we can bring forward to lighten the sentence? Is there anything that can be done to get a chance at a lighter sentence? The next part of my question is my grandson's ex-girlfriend (she had part in him being in jail) is sitting in jail and from what public records show she got arrested 6 times in 6 months.....a couple of misdemeanor drug charges (braking bond each of the later 5 arrests) which were dropped in light of the three felonies. armed robbery (went in a store with someone else and tried to rob the store.. they had a gun with them and they showed it..... she got rid of the gun and the misdemeanor tampering was dropped) then armed robbery and armed kidnapping..... she was selling drugs to a young man (she is 19 the young man was 16) She invited him in the car and held a gun on him while driving she took his money and then kicked him out of the car. Just past the distance that justifies kidnapping. She has been denied bond through three hearings and denied an offer for a half way house. The roomer has it that she is getting off with probation. How can that be????? I guess it is up to the judge and what I think is really going on is they are telling her what the P.D. (public defender) is going to recommend I am looking for an opinion. In the state of Fl. there is a State Mandatory Gun Sentencing that is called 10-20-life, this is 10 yrs if you have a gun when you commit a crime 20 years if you show the gun while committing a crime, and life if you use that gun while committing a crime.... She had a gun all three charges and showed it for all three charges. Can the judge decide to sentence her youthful offender even with the mandatory gun law??? You know how this all works it is all very long and strung out and I am just looking for opinions. I do know it is up to the judge in the end but I do know too that they have certain guidelines they have to stay within.

Last edited:

thanks anyway my grandson wasn't wondering I was. I was as stated just looking for an opinion. Not only on my grandsons behalf but on the additional question about the ex girlfriend...... If you don't have an opinion thats alright. I just had some time on my hands and was wondering if anyone had some insight. This is what happens when you are a senior citizen. lol. No worries....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">