• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized work from service company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nolow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl

Work was performed at my house without my authorization. The guy didn't give me an estimate or get my authorization. He just did the work and gave me the bill. Does the UCC or Florida Statute cover this? I know a mechanic can not do work over a certain amount without authorization. I would think it would be the same for electricians, air condition mechanics, and repair/handymen.

JETX

Lots of information missing (what type work, how did they know that you needed the work, etc.), but if it truly as you state, the contractor cannot force you to pay for work you did not order or authorize.
What did the contractor say when you told him??

nolow

Lots of information missing (what type work, how did they know that you needed the work, etc.), but if it truly as you state, the contractor cannot force you to pay for work you did not order or authorize.
What did the contractor say when you told him??
Thank you for your help. It was to repair my garage. It got jammed on some equipment I had in the garage and a single roller was broken. I called the company last night and the dispatcher gave me a break down of the price (fuel/trip charge, diagnostic, cost of rollers). She said it wouldn't cost more than 200 dollars. The guy came today while I was at work. My wife then showed him the damage. Two hours later he hands her a bill that was almost $600. She then called me at work telling me that it exceeded $200 that I told her it would cost. I didn't want her to go through the ordeal of arguing with the guy and not paying him. She was home alone. Therefore, I told her I would have to deal with it after work. She ended up giving him my credit card information. I called him after work. He basically said the wheels were too small. Therefore, he decided to do a complete overhaul of the garage. His reason was I needed bigger wheels. The small wheels is what caused the damage/derailment. He replaced all the rollers, two springs, both cables etc. He said he gave me an overhaul special they are running. I told him the garage broke because it got jammed with my clutter not because the wheels are too small. I called for a repair not an overhaul. He then replied by saying no one told him that and he didn't want a call back. Does that give him the right overhaul my whole garage? He misdiagnosed the problem and decided to replace everything. My garage setup has worked flawlessly for 10 years. I also have a second garage with the small wheels, as he puts it. It works flawlessly. I did a search through the BBB and the company has an unsatisfactory rating. If he would have told me or my wife what needed to be performed and at what cost, I would have never agreed to the repairs.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">