• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Lienholder/Illegal Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ganger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am lienholder on a vehicle my husband and I purchased for our son to drive. He apparently has sold the vehicle even though we have the title. We were contacted via Certified Mail yesterday by the new owners wanting us to sign over the vehicle to them. We did not report the vehicle stolen because we did not want our son getting into trouble with the law and he is now missing in action, we don't know where he lives and no phone numbers. What would be the appropriate next step? We want our vehicle back and the new owners "refuse" saying they paid for it. Help? :confused:

racer72

Tell the "new" owners that you are the legal owner of the vehicle and that you did not authorize the sale of the vehicle. Be prepared to refund the purchase price.

We did not report the vehicle stolen because we did not want our son getting into trouble with the law
Your son will not get in trouble with the law. If you allowed him to use the vehicle, the police will not consider it stolen and will not write up a police report. The police will tell you it is a civil matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">