• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never been arrested...maybe soon.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lawnarjax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, Duval County1

I keyed a car in a walmart parking lot last year. I lost my temper and reacted childishly, there were no witnesses, and I was not caught in the act, but I believe I was filmed by the security cameras. I have not been charged yet, but a detective came to my house asking questions a few days ago. I acted dumb, not wanting to incriminate myself. But I know they have me on tape so I think its just a matter of time before I would be arrested. In any case I want to make it right(go to court,pay damages etc.) but dont want to lose my job and all that I have worked for over a stupid mistake.

I have never been arrested or anything, so I am not sure what I need to do as far as how to plea, get a lawyer or not, what to expect as a 1st time offender. I feel like my whole life is on the line, and I cant seem to get any good info anywhere else.

xylene

What did the detective ask?

And was this a random car, or the car of say your boss or a romantic rival / ex lover kind of thing.

We all make mistakes.

If arrested or questioned again SAY NOTHING. Get a lawyer.

The best move would be to put this behind you and bury it, and learn to not act in anger.

Actually, it is OK to feel a little pride in lashing out, but don't be a psycho.

Last edited:

lawnarjax

What did the detective ask?
He asked if I was at the walmart on a particular day, I said that I was not. This was true becasue he asked if I was there on xxxday and I was not, it was the next day, technically did not lie.

And was this a random car, or the car of say your boss or a romantic rival / ex lover kind of thing.
This was a pure roadrage incident. No excuses, I was having a bad day, this guy did someting small that put me over the edge, I reacted. Very dumb, but no it was not random.

I think this would fall under a criminal mischief charge, but not sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">