• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to deal with a car repair shop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

athabasca

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? This occurred in Fargo, ND, but I live in Minnesota.

My 1992 Ford Tempo got a flat front tire due to debris in the road. I put the spare on and brought the car to the nearest repair shop that could patch the flat. I was 50 miles from where I live.

The shop was closing before I could get back there, so I arranged for the repair guy to leave the keys in the car. When I went back to pick up the car, the keys were not left as arranged. I paid before I left.

I talked to repair guy on the phone (a friend of a friend had his phone number) and the repair guy stated his boss directed him to keep the keys inside the shop so I could talk to the boss in the morning.

The repair shop guy stated his boss thought the rear tires had too little tread and wanted to "discuss" tire replacement. The repair guy told me that his boss often does this, but had never kept a car overnight before. It sounds like it will be a high pressure sales tactic.

In my opinion, the rear tires were fine as they passed the "penny test".

I paid for the front tire patch and remounting when I dropped the car off, so essentially they kept my car hostage.

I needed to be home at night and was 50 miles away. I believe the repair shop owes me for mileage for my friend to pick me up, bring me back the next morning, and for our time.

Is there any way that what the boss did here (keeping my car without my permission) is legal?
Do I have a legally standing to request payment for time and mileage?
Should I report the boss and shop to the police?

I'm going back there in the morning to get my car. At the very least I'll be reporting the place to the Better Business Bureau.

Thank you for any advice offered.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

"Esentially" is not reality. Forget about your car being held hostage and forget about your damages. Pay for your car, ignore the sale pitch and move on.

The police won't care. You won't win in court. The BBB *may* make a note in their file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">