• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee Will being contested over original Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Judyology

I have an uncle in Tennessee who passed away in 1999. He was my grandfathers brother and had lived all his life in the family home with his sister. Both of whom never had any children. All of their other siblings are desceased except one sister. In his original will which was made in 1991 he left everything to this sister until her death and then after her death everything was suppose to go to a cousin of mine. A month before his death in 1999 while he was hospitalized, a couple of greedy aunts ( one being his other sister and my dad's sister) decide to coerce him into changing his will. In the new will his eldery sister is never mentioned and the two greedy aunts are the sole beneficiaries to everything. To make a long story as short as possible..my cousin has contested this *new* will
and at the moment they are all embroiled in a very nasty court battle. I support my cousins stance on this entire issue 100% and am probably the only other one in the family brave enough to say so regardless of hurting family.

My cousin just recently sent me a *Draft* copy of a letter that is soon to be mailed out to everyone who is a potential heir in this ...if the will is overturned and it goes to probate. There are three choices in the form to choose from before mailing it back to the attorney.

#1 ------- I do not wish to have any involvement in this matter and I want to disclaim my interest by the enclosed disclaimer.

# 2 ------- I want to be a plaintiff with _______
to recover the money back from _______ and receive my share, if successful.

# 3 ------- I will have to be a defendant in this matter.

I by all means want to check # 2 ...because I know this greedy aunt all too well from past experiences with her of my own ..but would like to know if there is someone who might advise me of the legal obligations this would commit me to. Does this mean I am now hiring my cousins attorney as well? what's involved legally by becoming a plaintiff with the person who originally filed the suit..and what are my obligations once I do this?

ALawyer

This is something that you should ask, IN WRITING, of your cousin and the lawyer he has retained. Read the stuff on Will Contests on FreeAdvice.com as you should know what is involved BEFROE asking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">