• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 yr. old with a question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AboyofHope

Hello, I am 17 and live in the Dallas, Texas area. I love my family very much, my brother, sister, mother and father. But I am ready to go. My father has a big issue of letting me move out and has even mentioned that he won't let me at the age of 18. ( turning so in April of 09' )
Due to family problems, I feel like I need to leave. I won't go into detail about what has occurred but it is time I go out on my own. I have done some research and am aware I need my parents permission to move out. But, if I tell them where I am going, do they have a legal right to bring me back? I do not have intentions to stop all contact. It is just time for me to make it on my own.

I have a place to go. An adult lives at the residence, the house is large and well equipped to hold me. I will be safe, have something to eat on a regular basis, and I will have a job to help support myself. The family in which I would like to move in with lives not far from here, well within driving distance. I do not with to anger my parents with my choice, but I have made up my mind.

I am homeschooled so I do not have the issue of "skipping class". I am educated beyond most of my piers. I know I can do this. But neither of my parents are willing to let me go. What are my options? I would like it laid out in front of me so I know if I am making a good choice. I do not have intentions of running away either, but I do have my mind set on what I want to do. I have a clean record, never been pulled over, never had the police called on me. I don't smoke, never done drugs, I don't drink. I am responsible young man. I have plans to go into CCCC this coming semester.

I am just looking for some answers on my situation. Nothing is set in stone yet.

outonbail

When you're 18, your parents can not stop you from leaving. Until then, you are completely under their control. They can report you as a runaway, the police will come get you and the adult who is allowing you to live in his/her home, can find themselves in legal trouble as well.
You've been living with your family for over seventeen years, another eight months shouldn't matter. It will go faster than you think, unless you end up spending some of it in juvenile hall.

tru2blu

ya man stick it out. i know its hard, especially if u think ur ready to get out. but u gotta grit ur teeth and stick it out because at the age of 17 moving with out parents permission can get u into trouble. turning this already ****ty situation for you even worse..it may sound silly but charish these last months in your parents house, because when your gone and on ur own you might miss them. who knows maybe with time your parents will see you are ready to move out. hopefully once you do move out, your relationship with your parents improves. good luck. and remember dont run away that will land u in jail, then probably some kind of supervision program that could be worse than living with your parents.

AboyofHope

Peer*

Excuse the typo, I was quite tired that night and it was a mistake on my behalf. Please don't judge me on a typo. I am educated regardless of my typing skills when I have had four hours of sleep. Great maturity shown there fellas' :)

Thank you for the great advice in the second reply though. The night I posted this I was upset and frustrated. Since then I have cooled off and am back on track. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">