• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for NO front plate of borrowed car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xbmama08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
Son borrowed Mercedes of future mother-in-law. She did not have the front plate mounted on the car. Did not want the plate on the car. In Iowa it is the law to have plates on the front and back. During sons short trip he was pulled over for not having the front plate on the car. He explained the car was NOT his and that the plate was in the trunk where the owner wanted it. He showed the officer the plate but the officer gave son a ticket for 63 bucks. SHOULDNT the owner get the ticket?? Can my son fight this at all?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would your son NOT get a ticket for driving a vehicle that was not legal to drive?

xbmama08

Was NOT aware that it was a LAW until the officer told him it was the law.
On his car he does have BOTH plates on. On my car I have both plates. I have lived in Iowa my whole life and was not aware that it is a law. We see many cars all day long with no front plates or even front plates with scenery on them for the front plate.

He took this car out after dark to pick up a pizza. Had only heard the owner say in the past that she didnt put the plate on cuz it would make HER car look ugly and that the front plate was in the trunk. She has had the car for three years with no plate on the front. Son takes it out after dark and gets a ticket. Doesnt seem right to me that he should have to PAY for something she chose NOT to do.

What about a warning to the son since he was clearly NOT the owner.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was NOT aware that it was a LAW until the officer told him it was the law.
On his car he does have BOTH plates on. On my car I have both plates. I have lived in Iowa my whole life and was not aware that it is a law. We see many cars all day long with no front plates or even front plates with scenery on them for the front plate.
Oh, I see. That extra information clarified things a bit. So, now my question would be:

Why would your son NOT get a ticket for driving a vehicle that was not legal to drive?

He took this car out after dark to pick up a pizza. Had only heard the owner say in the past that she didnt put the plate on cuz it would make HER car look ugly and that the front plate was in the trunk. She has had the car for three years with no plate on the front. Son takes it out after dark and gets a ticket. Doesnt seem right to me that he should have to PAY for something she chose NOT to do.

What about a warning to the son since he was clearly NOT the owner.
The DRIVER of a vehicle is the one responsible for making sure the vehicle is legal to drive. A warning? Sure, that was an option for the officer, but definitely not required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">