• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiding Evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BLHAYNES

I live in Southeast Texas. I am currently involved in a discrimination lawsuit and I have no representation. I was about to settle the matter last week when I discovered that the defendant is in posession of a document that will prove my case. They received the document in early January and they chose to try and conceal it. They pushed me to settle the matter and I was prepared to do so until I found out about the document in question. It helps my case tremendously and they know it so they tried to hide it from me. My question is- Can they legally conceal this evidence from me ? I have asked for a copy of the document and they have refused to provide one. What can I do ?

JETX

Assuming this is a Civil matter, they are not under the same rules of evidence as in a criminal case. They do not have to make their documents available to you upon your general request.

If you want a copy of the document, you need to subpeona it. That will then force them to turn over the document to you. I would suggest that you make a broadbased request... to the effect of:
"All documents relating to the hiring, termination and employment of "X" that are in your possession."
(This is a very simple example of the type of request and documents, recording, emails, etc. that you need to include in your discovery.). I suggest you take a look at the Rule 177a of the TX Rules of Civil Procedure at:
http://www.adminlaw.org/trcp29.htm#177a

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">