• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minors name released

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkurt40

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL.
my daughter who is 16 was at a friends house at a party and there was drinkingshe had a few sips she says and the police came she was given a $100 fine that she will pay out of her own money. My question is a police officer that patrols the high school where all the kids go released the names of all the kids to the school and some have been suspended from sports for this is it legal for him to release thier names since they are minors and this was not a school function nor was this on or near school grounds?

seniorjudge

Sec. 6. (a) No school student records or information contained therein may be released, transferred, disclosed or otherwise disseminated, except as follows:
(6) To any person as specifically required by State or federal law;
(6.5) To juvenile authorities when necessary for the discharge of their official duties

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

Nobody did anything wrong (except your daughter).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Our OP is saying that the police officer told the school...not the other way around.
And, YES, that is legal - why would you think it's not?

seniorjudge

Our OP is saying that the police officer told the school...not the other way around.
My point exactly.

The cop goes to the school and says, "Do y'all know Suzi Jkurt40?"

The school says, "Yep."

The cop says, "I caught her and all these punks" -- hands list to school -- "in possession of alcohol."

The school says, "We'll take care of that!"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Criminal records are public knowledge. SOMETIMES a juvenile's criminal record will not be released because the court orders it sealed or not released however people confuse the idea of the media CHOOSING not to print/reveal the names of minors with believing that they legally cannot.

Zaaz

In most jurisdictions I have seen (not in IL) the SROs (Cops assigned to School beats) may report any type of criminal activity committed by a student to the school they are attending.

You are more worried about your daughter's name getting out and kids being suspended from sports than you are about her participating in an illegal activity?!?! The parenting styles you see on these boards are absolutely atrocious. My parents would have whipped me silly and then TOLD THE SCHOOL THEMSELVES so that I could be doubly punished. Some parents do it correctly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">