• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Guardan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiretracts

My state is Alabama

MY question is that if I get Legal custody of my 2 gradchildern, ages 6 and 3, can I get them on my disibility social security check ?
They live in my house now and both parents have left them to presue their addicitions and I have them willing to give me legal guardianship.
thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You had best discuss that with the SSA. Guardianship may not be sufficient to get them on your SSDI.
Agreed. Guardianship is revocable and temporary and is put in place by a court order and revoked upon submission to the court of a revocation. Custody is permanent and takes a court order to change it and even then it is ONLY upon a substantial change of circumstance in your life or the children's life. Both take a court order to make it so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">