• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisntammy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My fiance would like to adopt my son and my son would also love to be able to call my fiance his father.

His biological father has never been part of my son's life. He has seen him only a few times and my son is 17. We don't know where he is and we don't want to know where he is. It is not in our best interest to try to contact his biological father due to previous emotional and physical abuse. His father stalked me for several years and is it is also recognized by the state of IL that it is not in our best interest to try to contact his biological father. He has never paid any child support and does not have visitation rights.

What can we do?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My fiance would like to adopt my son and my son would also love to be able to call my fiance his father.

His biological father has never been part of my son's life. He has seen him only a few times and my son is 17. We don't know where he is and we don't want to know where he is. It is not in our best interest to try to contact his biological father due to previous emotional and physical abuse. His father stalked me for several years and is it is also recognized by the state of IL that it is not in our best interest to try to contact his biological father. He has never paid any child support and does not have visitation rights.

What can we do?
You will HAVE TO contact your ex to get his permission for a TPR and adoption.

Since you don't want to contact him, the only thing you can do is wait until son is 18 and then you won't need ex's permission.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You will HAVE TO contact your ex to get his permission for a TPR and adoption.

Since you don't want to contact him, the only thing you can do is wait until son is 18 and then you won't need ex's permission.
Actually she also has to MARRY her fiance. Unless of course he wants to adopt her son and SHE also has her rights terminated.

LdiJ

Actually she also has to MARRY her fiance. Unless of course he wants to adopt her son and SHE also has her rights terminated.
I am going to, sort of, disagree....

All kinds of things can be done legally once the child is 18, and the laws vary drastically from state to state regarding adult adoptions.

I am going to suggest that she get a consult with a local adoption attorney. Her situation is clearly is beyond the scope of this forum.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

All kinds of things can be done legally once the child is 18, and the laws vary drastically from state to state regarding adult adoptions.

I am going to suggest that she get a consult with a local adoption attorney. Her situation is clearly is beyond the scope of this forum.
OG was referring to the first statement that Gracie made. Obviously, once the child is 18 (an adult), it's a whole different ball of wax.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I was talking about adopting now. Not as an adult -- for that I agree that things change then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">