• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Charging me For NEVER sitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MizzNAncy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alexandria Virginia

I am soo distraught. I am being charged for applying for a collegeand never even attending the school. I never recieved any letter stating I was being approved for any type of funding from the school / nor loans. I NEVER sat and by waiting around for them and visiting the school like a million times trying to get room and board I finally said forget it. I ended up missing college a semester because of it. They are charging me almost 6,000 just because I registered for classes. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did they say when you called and asked about it?
What are the policies in place for this situation?

There may be an appeal process. Something like this happened to me, I signed up for two summer classes after my sophomore year, decided to work full time instead so I turned in a withdrawal form to the registrar, but somehow the form vanished. It took awhile, but they ended up taking the charges off my account. I doubt they legally had to though, since I registered for the classes and I didn't keep a copy of the signed withdrawal form or get proof it was received.

When people sign up for a class, the college allocates classroom space and resources. If you don't follow their withdrawal guidelines, they have no way of knowing you don't still want the service they are selling. Financial aid is a pain but if you can't afford your classes without it, you have to be really careful to watch the withdrawal deadlines and withdraw in time if your aid hasn't come through. Or take a semester off and save money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">