• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment of Construction Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leonberger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ.
I have a contract with a framer for a major addition to our house. After about 1 month of not returning our phone calls - we figure he walked out on the contract. We sent him a notice of abandonment of contract - stating that he had 2 weeks to contract us and complete the remaining work. There is about 1 weeks worth of work left. Needless to say has not made any attempts to contact us. Is there any time frame I need to give him before I send the next letter terminating the contract? Are there any other steps I need to take? I want to hire someone else to complete the job and I don't want him coming back to me asking for more money if someone else does his work. Is my letter to him terminating the contract legal enough? te letter telling him tha the hasn't responded to the abandonment letter enough to end the contract? We have gotten other estimates for the work and figure we are only out a few thousand dollars - it's not even the money. We just don't want him to make sure we are covered ending this contract.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ.
I have a contract with a framer for a major addition to our house. After about 1 month of not returning our phone calls - we figure he walked out on the contract. We sent him a notice of abandonment of contract - stating that he had 2 weeks to contract us and complete the remaining work. There is about 1 weeks worth of work left. Needless to say has not made any attempts to contact us. Is there any time frame I need to give him before I send the next letter terminating the contract? Are there any other steps I need to take? I want to hire someone else to complete the job and I don't want him coming back to me asking for more money if someone else does his work. Is my letter to him terminating the contract legal enough? te letter telling him tha the hasn't responded to the abandonment letter enough to end the contract? We have gotten other estimates for the work and figure we are only out a few thousand dollars - it's not even the money. We just don't want him to make sure we are covered ending this contract.

**A: did you hiore a licensed contractor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">