• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please read. i need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zlink457

i recently got arrested because my friend had broken into cars and stolen items and lent me them. when the cops showed up, i had a nintendo ds. this happened two months ago, but is it still possible to get charges? and if he's saying that i did it, how could i defend myself?

seniorjudge

Q: this happened two months ago, but is it still possible to get charges?

A: Yes.

Q: and if he's saying that i did it, how could i defend myself?

A: Get a lawyer.

zlink457

i've called the cops back, and they've yet to answer, but would it be good with the lawyer? like i hadn't known that he stolen them. i don't know, i'm just afraid i'm getting in trouble for something i didn't do.

CdwJava

Consider cooperating with the police fully. However, if you even had an inkling that the item might have been stolen, don't talk to them until you have spoken to an attorney.

- Carl

zlink457

what i meant about the two months thing is if they haven't replied to anything, because i've tried calling the cop, and so have my parents, so i can find what charges i have, but we've never gotten a call back. how long until they could reply and me still go to court?

CdwJava

what i meant about the two months thing is if they haven't replied to anything, because i've tried calling the cop, and so have my parents, so i can find what charges i have, but we've never gotten a call back. how long until they could reply and me still go to court?
The state has until the statute of limitations runs out to file charges. Which, depending on your state and the nature of the offense alleged, could be anywhere from 6 months to 5 years or so.

- Carl

RCM31507

you know what i would do.....it's been 2 months there hasn't been anything filed and no one will call you back..just leave it alone. You can't do anything about it because obviously somethings hasn't been filed because you'd get a letter saying a court date and what you're being charged with. Don't worry about a charge until you have one until then i wouldn't worry or talk to the police (you have the right to remain silent, they have that law for a reason.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">