• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad's Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chasethedream

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My dad passed on in late June. The only copy of his will is dated from 1996. My brother is the executor. The law firm we thought our dad filed his will with has no record of it. They confirmed this only on the phone, but wanted a $350 consultation fee for us to come in to make sure.

What do we do? What is our statue of limitations to act on things?

Any suggestions and information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

curb1

Check all other attorneys in the area. The $350 is a money grab. They should be able to tell you in a two minute phone call. What is the value of the estate assets? Is there a simple dispersement to beneficiaries? Do you think that it could to be contested? Is it just you and brother as beneficiaries?

Last edited:

chasethedream

Relative ease

Since it's just me and my brother, it should be an uncontested simple dispersement with no real property involved.

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">