• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njmompaboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My 17 yr old has 2 very recent citations for underage drinking at college in PA. No court date yet. My understanding is the PA Dept of Transp. will suspend his license for 1 yr.
Is this worth hiring a lawyer to fight? He was clearly in the wrong both times (and yes, he will start counseling this week so please save the lectures...legal advice only thank you)
2nd question-does the fact he is a juvenile help or protect his records at all?

Also any idea how this may effect our already outrageous insurance costs (NJ is awful!)

ecmst12

If he doesn't have a PA license, then the PA DOT can't suspend it. I'm unsure if the NJ DOT will suspend his license based on a PA conviction. It's my understanding that the two states do not share information regarding traffic tickets (a ticket that gives you points in PA won't affect an NJ license), but that's only traffic tickets, not criminal offenses. He should certainly talk to a lawyer before pleading guilty to anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">