• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money from grandpa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ackrondeb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)Washington State
My husbands grandpa passed away the end of last month and we received a check
in the mail for just over $35,000.Anything that grandpa had was to be split 3 ways between grandpas children, and since my husbands mother passed away a few years ago, he has taken her place. Do we have to pay any type of inheritance taxes or
IRS. It came from his bank account. He had sold his house a few years ago when he
moved into an assisted living apartment. Things that I have pulled up from the internet says, no we do not, but I can't imagine the IRS not wanting part of it:D
Thanks for any information

anteater

Things that I have pulled up from the internet says, no we do not, but I can't imagine the IRS not wanting part of it.
Sometimes, things on the internet are actually accurate.

While we can quibble about estate income passed through to beneficiaries and other arcana, money received aa an inheritance is not subject to income tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">