• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gifts in year of death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdb720

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My aunt died Jan. 15, 2008.

My uncle wants to know if he can make gifts of $24,000 to an individual during 2008 or is he limited to just his $12,000 gift amount because the gifts will be made after her date of death?

Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

Q: My uncle wants to know if he can make gifts of $24,000 to an individual during 2008 or is he limited to just his $12,000 gift amount because the gifts will be made after her date of death?

A: Are you asking if you can give gifts to dead people?

tranquility

Clearly, she can't give the gift. Uncle can only give the $12,000 per person withouth having to file a gift tax return.

sdb720

Clarification of question

I guess what I meant to ask is if my aunt and uncle each intended to make a $12,000 gift to a person during 2008 and my aunt died before the gift was made, can my uncle still make the gift on her behalf since she was alive for part of the year?

anteater

I guess what I meant to ask is if my aunt and uncle each intended to make a $12,000 gift to a person during 2008 and my aunt died before the gift was made, can my uncle still make the gift on her behalf since she was alive for part of the year?
No, he can't.

tranquility

Even if she wrote out the check and died on the way to the person's house to deliver it, no. If it was not a completed gift there is no set of facts which will make the gift available to be made after her death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">