• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to protect my assest effectively?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jason_melz

Hi,

I am a 28 year old unmarried (with no kids) business owner with net worth of just under $1 million residing in California. I am a US Citizen. My business is small (10 employees) and is structured as an S Corp. I have Professional Liability and General Liability for the business. I have an equal partner that I have known for a long time and trust.

My business partner and I also own an LLC (equal shares) that owns the building that my business is located and leasing.

As far as the personal investment assets, I own 50% of two separate investment real estate properties (and pay mortgages on) with two separate partners (one family member and the other a very close friend, and I am personally on the titles of these properties).

I am also about to purchase a new property, on my own, to use as personal residence.

I would like to see what are my options as far as asset protection. Mainly concerning the following areas:

1) Marriage and the unfortunate possibility of divorce (is there anything else other than prenuptial agreements?)

2) Lawsuits (originating from the business and/or personal affairs)

3) My death

4) anything else??

Any advise is greatly appreciated,

Best Regards,

Jason MelzWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TrustUser

neither the assets nor the income from assets in a living trust is subject to marriage liens.

this assumes that the trust predates the marriage, of course.

curb1

The very first thing that both you and your partner need is term life insurance policies and having each other as beneficiaries. That will go a long ways in solving some of your situations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">