• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question when there isn't a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maggiemater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

My husbands first wife passed away without a will. When it went to probate their daughter got part of the home. I am trying to find out exactly what percentage she got of her mothers half of the home.

anteater

The daughter doesn't know?

South Carolina's intestate succession statute says:
If any part of a South Carolina decedent's estate is not effectively disposed of by will, the intestate share will be distributed in the following order and manner:

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate, including both separate property and the one-half of community property that belongs to the decedent. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

If there is no surviving issue (e.g., child or grandchild) of decedent, the surviving spouse is entitled to the entire intestate estate.
If there are surviving issue of the decedent, the surviving spouse is entitled to one-half of the intestate estate.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to:

Decedent's issue. If they are all of the same degree of kinship to the decedent they take equally, but if of unequal degree, then those of more remote degree take by representation......

BlondiePB

My husbands first wife passed away without a will. When it went to probate their daughter got part of the home. I am trying to find out exactly what percentage she got of her mothers half of the home.
Look in the probate file. It's a public record.

maggiemater

Husbands wife had no will

They were married and had 1 child. It seems unfair that someone who hasn't paid anything on his home would be able to get her mothers half. I thought maybe he would get half of his wife's half ownership,and the daughter would get the other half of his wife's half. Giving the daughter 1/4 of the home. But, what do I know

seniorjudge

They were married and had 1 child. It seems unfair that someone who hasn't paid anything on his home would be able to get her mothers half. I thought maybe he would get half of his wife's half ownership,and the daughter would get the other half of his wife's half. Giving the daughter 1/4 of the home. But, what do I know
Maggie, your clarification has left me more puzzled.

We have not answered your question because you have not given us enough information.

Start with this:

How was the house titled when the first wife died?

How old was the child at that time?

Since there was no will, it had to go under intestate succession. In the courthouse file that you went a got a full copy of, what does the final order of distribution (or some other document named similarly) say about who got what?

seniorjudge

When you don't have a will in South Carolina...

South Carolina Intestate Succession Laws

If any part of a South Carolina decedent's estate is not effectively disposed of by will, the intestate share will be distributed in the following order and manner:

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate, including both separate property and the one-half of community property that belongs to the decedent. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

* If there is no surviving issue (e.g., child or grandchild) of decedent, the surviving spouse is entitled to the entire intestate estate.
* If there are surviving issue of the decedent, the surviving spouse is entitled to one-half of the intestate estate.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to:

1. Decedent's issue. If they are all of the same degree of kinship to the decedent they take equally, but if of unequal degree, then those of more remote degree take by representation.
2. Decedent's parent or parents equally.
3. Parents' issue or either of them by representation.
4. If none of the above relatives are available, but the decedent is survived by one or more grandparents or issue of grandparents, half of the estate passes to the paternal grandparents if both survive, or to the surviving paternal grandparent, or to the issue of the paternal grandparents if both are deceased, the issue taking equally if they are all of the same degree of kinship to the decedent or, if the issue are of unequal degree, those of more remote degree take by representation. The other half passes to the maternal relatives in the same manner. If there is no surviving grandparent or issue of grandparent on either the paternal or the maternal side, the entire estate passes to the relatives on the other side in the same manner as the half.
5. If none of the above relatives are available, but the decedent is survived by one or more great-grandparents or issue of great-grandparents, half of the estate passes to the surviving paternal great-grandparents in equal shares, or to the surviving paternal great-grandparent if only one survives, or to the issue of the paternal great-grandparents if none of the great-grandparents survive, the issue taking equally if they are all of the same degree of kinship to the decedent, but if of unequal degree those of more remote degree take by representation. The other half passes to the maternal relatives in the same manner. If there is no surviving great-grandparent or issue of a great-grandparent on either the paternal or the maternal side, the entire estate passes to the relatives on the other side in the same manner as the half.
6. If none of the above relatives are available, but the decedent is survived by one or more stepchildren or issue of stepchildren, the estate passes to the surviving stepchildren and to the issue of any deceased stepchildren. If they are all of the same degree of step-kinship to the decedent they take equally. If they are of unequal degree, then those of more remote degree take by representation.

If representation is called for as indicated above, the estate is divided into as many equal shares as there are surviving heirs in the nearest degree of kinship and deceased persons in the same degree who left issue who survive the decedent, each surviving heir in the nearest degree receiving one share and the share of each deceased person in the same degree being divided among his issue in the same manner. If an interest created by intestate succession is disclaimed (i.e., legally refused), the beneficiary is not treated as having predeceased the decedent for purposes of determining the generation at which the division of the estate is to be made.

3. State of South Carolina. If there is no taker under any of the above provisions, the intestate estate passes to the state of South Carolina.

South Carolina Intestate Succession Law Fun Facts

* Relatives of the half blood inherit the same share they would inherit if they were of the whole blood.
* Issue of the decedent (but no other persons) conceived before his death, but born within ten months thereafter, inherit as if they had been born in the lifetime of the decedent.
* Any person who fails to survive the decedent by 120 hours is deemed to have predeceased the decedent for purposes of intestate succession (which means that the person generally doesn't get a share of the decedent's estate). If it cannot be established by clear and convincing evidence that the person who would otherwise be an heir has survived the decedent by 120 hours, it is considered that the person failed to survive for the required period. However, these rules don't apply if the end result is that the state of South Carolina gets the intestate estate.
* Irresponsible parents beware! Parents who failed to reasonably provide support for the needs of the decedent during his or her minority may have their intestate share of the estate reduced or eliminated entirely by the probate court. The probate court may consider this option upon the motion of either parent or any other person with a potential interest in the estate.
* South Carolina's intestate succession laws, as well as other related laws, can be found in Title 62 of the South Carolina Code of Laws.

Copyright 2002 - 2008, CCH Incorporated, a Wolters Kluwer business. All Rights Reserved.

CCH Financial Planning Toolkit | South Carolina Intestate Succession Laws

maggiemater

When there isn't a will

My Husband and his wife were married 30 years. They had one daughter born 1973 or 1974. So she was in her mid to late 20's when her Mother died. The house was in my husbands and late wife's name. When she passed away the State of SC gave the grown daughter part. I was wondering if she got her mothers entire part of the property, or was the mothers half split between the husband and daughter.
Sorry I wasn't very clear.

anteater

My Husband and his wife were married 30 years. They had one daughter born 1973 or 1974. So she was in her mid to late 20's when her Mother died. The house was in my husbands and late wife's name. When she passed away the State of SC gave the grown daughter part. I was wondering if she got her mothers entire part of the property, or was the mothers half split between the husband and daughter.
What "husband" is this?

This string of posts is quite mysterious. Why not ask your husband? Surely he knows who he co-owns the property with now and what his ownership interest is.

It seems unfair that someone who hasn't paid anything on his home would be able to get her mothers half.
That could be said of most inheritances.

BlondiePB

Please hold the probate file up to the monitor so we all can read it.

anteater

From a misguided additional thread started by the OP:

when there is no will

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That remark was very mean blondie.

I was just asking what my husbands dead beat daughter (who could care less about him or her dead mother) ownership is in this home is. I am the mans second wife. We are paying for this home and it is sickening that she owns a part of it.
First, it was not mean.

Second, it comes from frustration that you can't communicate clearly enough for everybody to understand who the players are in this little melodrama and what the melodrama is all about. (And, yes, this one is "mean.")

Third, you have been told what South Carolina's intestate succession statute states (twice).

Fourth, you have been told more than once what you can do to confirm the ownership.

And, if it is sickening enough, stop paying. Or sue the daughter. Or offer to buy her ownership stake.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

From a misguided additional thread started by the OP:

First, it was not mean.

Second, it comes from frustration that you can't communicate clearly enough for everybody to understand who the players are in this little melodrama and what the melodrama is all about. (And, yes, this one is "mean.")

Third, you have been told what South Carolina's intestate succession statute states (twice).

Fourth, you have been told more than once what you can do to confirm the ownership.

And, if it is sickening enough, stop paying. Or sue the daughter. Or offer to buy her ownership stake.
Thanks for putting that post here anteater. I not only told her to go courthouse to look at the file, SJ also mentioned what was in the probate file.

What did maggiemater (aka you know who??) do? Absolutely nothing except to keep rambling on as though we all had that there probate file to view. :rolleyes:

Who's got the cheese for the whine? :D

(Edit: OMG, two threads dedicated to me in one day. Now, that's a personal record.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">