• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

supervised release

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tonika

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington DC, District of Columbia

My brother was found guilty for ecaping a police officer. He entered a plea of guilty to a "B" county escape. The sentence was 1 year in jail and 3 years supervised probation.

He completed that year was placed in 3 years supervised release in the "federal system". He completed 2 years and 4 months. He and his wife got into an domestic incident and the federal probation officer violated his supervised release and I did 30 days in the county jails. Upon completion the US marshal had an warrent for his arrest. The parole commissioner revoded his supervised release and he then served 18 months in prison.

After he completed the 18 months, the parole commissioner placed him back on supervised release for 2 more years.

My questions:
How was he placed in a federal system if the judgement states that he serves 1 year in DC jail.

How can he be placed on federal supervosed release under those conditions?

Why would he have a federal parole officer and have to face a parole commissioner.

If he was sentenced in superior court, how is he under District court guidelines?

His supervised release was transferred to Georgia. Georgia has supreme courts, why should he have a federal probation officer of federal parole commissioner.

Can they legally modify, extend or reduce or enlarge supervised release?

We are so confused.....

seniorjudge

He and his wife got into an domestic incident and the federal probation officer violated his supervised release and I did 30 days in the county jails.
You did 30 days? What does this have to do with your brother?

Anyway, what statute number was he charged under?

Was it a federal offense?

What does his lawyer say in answer to his questions?

What does his probation/parole officer say in answer to his questions?

seniorjudge

That was a typo... I never did any days.... Sorry. I tried to edit this before it was posted.
Thank you.

Please answer these questions:

Anyway, what statute number was he charged under?

Was it a federal offense?

What does his lawyer say in answer to his questions?

What does his probation/parole officer say in answer to his questions?

Tonika

from what I understand it was not a federal offense. He had served time for a drug charge. I have done a lot of research and it seems that District of Columbia is different for other states.

What I am trying to understand is how he went from state supervised release to federal supervised. This came after the incident with his wife....

According to "Evans vs Parole" Action authorizes the district court to revoked a term of supervised release. Revoke generally means cancel... Once a term of supervised release has been revoked and the time is served there is nothing left to extend, modify or enlarge. The release no longer exists....

Code of Federal Relations 28 part 01042. Judicial Administration 2.52 revocation decision

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">