• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigProblem4Me

I live in Virginia. About 1 year a 2 months ago I obtained my first DUI. I went to court, and was put in the ASAP program. ASAP put me in the county mental health program. I took drug tests, went to AA meetings, and did not drink or use any substances at all. I did, however, steel a 12 pack of beer from 7-11 on a random night back in May while very caffeinated and seduced by an amazingly attractive female. I was caught, and because I violated my parole, now have to go back to court where I may have to serve my previously set, sentence (but suspended) of 120 days in jail, and a large fine. I will not have a lawyer by the court date for various reasons. My question is simply this. What do I tell the judge if I am in the process of getting a lawyer but I just need more time to do this. I believe I have the right and I just can't remember what the correct phrase with the correct legal terminology is to do this. I am going to school, and working, with great determination to be responsible by fully supporting myself financially, getting strait A's in college, and dealing with my past. Any other advice (besides not letting this happen again) would be greatly appreciated!!!

BL

Ask the court for some time for you to get a lawyer .

If you can't afford one , ask the court to appoint you one .

Hopefully , they will still let you stay out until the next court date .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">