• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunging a record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jae_tee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

My question is this:

If there was a case where all the charges were dismissed and discharged - can that record be expunged? It was a misdemeanor in the state of California.

Never convicted, never tried, never entered a plea, but the charges were dropped but of course if you run a background check it comes up. How can that be completely removed and can the expungement process help me with that?

Restitution was paid and now lives a totally honest, upstanding lifestyle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

My question is this:

If there was a case where all the charges were dismissed and discharged - can that record be expunged? It was a misdemeanor in the state of California.

Never convicted, never tried, never entered a plea, but the charges were dropped but of course if you run a background check it comes up. How can that be completely removed and can the expungement process help me with that?

Restitution was paid and now lives a totally honest, upstanding lifestyle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Yes -- expungement law was generally used for cases just like this. As long as you meet the stipulations of expungement for your state all should be good. Usually the DA will not automatically do it so it is ultimately up to you and your attorney to get it processed and signed off on. Generally a misdomeanor is around 300-400 dollars to get expunged -- make you sure you have a lawyer handle it as he will have it done quickly for you---

If your misdomeanor was certain traffic or sex offenses the you may not quailfy.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">