• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i think my sons lawyer is over stepping his bound

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Christina35

nebraska (only U.S. law)?
My 13 yr olds attorney told me i could not sit with him while they were talking unless my son said it was ok. and told me i needed. to get a lawyer. . i am not charged with any thing . can he do that?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
nebraska (only U.S. law)?
My 13 yr olds attorney told me i could not sit with him while they were talking unless my son said it was ok. and told me i needed. to get a lawyer. . i am not charged with any thing . can he do that?
Yes he can. And quite frankly he should. The client is the only one who can give permission for another to sit in on a meeting with the attorney. So it is your son's call. And maybe you do need an attorney -- no one here can tell you because we have no clue what the details of the situation are.

racer72

Yep. Every person, even juveniles, have the right to client/attorney privelige. This means you do not have the right to listen to the conversations between your son and his attorney.

CavemanLawyer

The attorney client privilege only applies if the communications remain confidential. So if you sat in on the conversation than it was not made in confidence and the prosecutor for your son's case could call YOU to the stand and ask you what was said between your son and his attorney. It is standard practice for attorney's to only discuss the case with the juvenile in confidence, without the parent present.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">