• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed for Zone Parking, but I Paid to Park There

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhoff75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
I live in the City of Alexandria where you are required to pay for parking along with your personal property tax. I paid for my parking last year and it is good through Oct 6th, 2008. I never received the decal in the mail, but I do have the Payment Confirmation # and proof that I paid for the personal property tax of my car as well as a decal fee of $33 and parking fee of $15. This morning, I took off from work and parked next to my house and received a citation for "Code 10-4-34, Permit Parking District, Parking Illegally In". I understood why I received the ticket (lack of decal) but felt that it should be waived considering that I have paid to park there. I immediately went to the Adjudication office to contest. I explained the situation and gave the adjudication officer the confirmation # but she didn't bother to research it. :mad: She gave me a notice that the case would not be dismissed. I asked to appeal it and I now have an impending court case next month. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't acted in haste and just paid the ticket. However, now that I have court, I am wondering what the chances are that it will be dismissed when I show up there with evidence that I have paid to park in the zone and if I ask for leniency of the judge. After all, failure to display a decal should not have the same judgement as someone who never paid to park there. I also would like to know whether I should plead guilty or not guilty? And if guilty, is there such a thing as guilty with an explanation? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

seniorjudge

Parking Citation Adjudication Request

The owner of any vehicle parked, stored or garaged in the City that does not display a valid City decal is subject to a $40 fine for each violation of Alexandria’s tax ordinances. Alexandria police and parking enforcement officers may issue tickets on public property or on private property (including parking lots) with the consent of the property owner. Alexandria has reciprocal enforcement agreements with other localities that enable officers in each participating locality to issue tickets for violations of the other localities’ tax ordinances.

City of Alexandria, Virginia | Personal Property (Vehicle) Tax

According to your post, you are guilty since you did not have the decal on your car.

So plead not guilty and take all your stuff to court.

You never know...you might get a break.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">