• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental car parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeymeyer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

A friend from California visited me in Hawaii. She was issued a parking ticket on her rental car. The police did not get her name or driver's license info.
What can happen if she ignores the parking ticket?
Can/will they (police/city prosecutor) trace the rental car to her?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

A friend from California visited me in Hawaii. She was issued a parking ticket on her rental car. The police did not get her name or driver's license info.
What can happen if she ignores the parking ticket?
Can/will they (police/city prosecutor) trace the rental car to her?
The police/prosecutor won't have to chase her down.

How did she pay for the rental car? I'll bet she gave her billing information (credit card) to the rental car company. When the rental car company gets the bill for the ticket, they will charge her credit card for the costs of the ticket, and possibly for any administrative charges for needing to bill her since she failed to pay her ticket.

The Occultist

Indiana Filer is correct. The true responsibility of a parking ticket will fall on the vehicle owner, in this case the car rental agency. They will pay the fine, and then they will bill your friend for the fees, as your friend did agree to when she signed the rental contract. I have also heard tell of a few agencies that will charge an additional fee on top of that; have your friend consult the contract she agreed to.

To summarize: your friend will be billed by the rental agency. This is precisely why most (if not all agencies) will not even allow a vehicle to be rented without a credit card number on file.

mikeymeyer

Rental car paking ticket in Hawaii

Thanks for the advice - makes sense.
Guess we will pay the ticket to avoid additional costs.

THANK YOU :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">