• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thayn

I live in WA state. So I have an unregistered car that is parked in front of my house on the road. I have been researching the code used on the ticket (46161030) and found that this is the code for a car that is parked and unregistered for 45+ days (true), however the car is not being operated and yet, the office issuing the ticket (found on windshield) marked the violation as a "traffic" violation. Is a parked car that has been parked and not operated since before the registration expired a traffic or non-traffic violation?

We drove around the neighborhood and found 2 other cars with the same "move it or we'll tow it" warning sticker, but NO tickets. We even spoke with the one neighbor who recieved a notice and he didn't get a ticket (even though he is parked within 30 feet of a stop sign). So why the ticket for us and not anyone else, and can it be thrown out for being marked incorrectly?

RCW 46.16.010: Licenses and plates required ? Penalties ? Exceptions ? Expired registration, impoundment. This is the website I found with definition on it but can't find anywhere what kind of infraction it is. Oh, and I also found somewhere a "fee schedule" for this infraction code and found it to be $133, but I was ticketed $216.

Help?

racer72

Did you read the statute? Particularly item #3?

(3) Failure to renew an expired registration before operation on the highways of this state is a traffic infraction.

Any vehicle on a public roadway is consider in operation. What happened to the other folks in your neighborhood is totally irrelevant. The fine listed is the state minimum, counties and cities can at to the what the state wants. That's the reason for the higher fine. If you have a clean driving record you can get a deferment on the citation. This will mean licensing or disposing of the vehicle, paying the fine and get no other tickets for a year. Get another though and both hit your driving record at the same time.

thayn

I read the statue, but saw "in operation" as the car being driven. Is it really considered in operation when it is parked? I just don't understand how that could go on a driving record. Parking ticket yes, but otherwise? If so, that really sucks. I have a clean driving record, no tickets or anything EVER. What a bummer.

swrdmbo

I believe it is considered such because it is parked on a public roadway. If you had it parked in your driveway it would be a different story. (and if you lived in our area..a different citation as they do not allow inoperative vehicles to even be on the property for more than a specified time )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">