• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

writing a

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gmpl

Hi. I want to write an autobiography. In it I would include true incidents involving my family, and others.
Can they sue me for doing that? Do I need written permission?

ALawyer

Not for writing it. Issues can arise when you PUBLISH it to others.

It's your life. You can write about it.

But if you defame people (tell what they allege, and a jury finds, are falsehoods that damage their reputation, sometimes with malice and sometimes without) you are responsible for the defamation.

G

gmpl

writing

Thanks for your answer. I'm still a bit confused, though.
What I want to write about are actual incidents of child abuse.I guess there are no ways to prove if it happened or not. One of my parents, however, admits to the abuse.
If I described incidents of abuse and published my book, would that be defamation of my abusers, who are my parents? My sister can confirm the abuse. My brother is somewhat in denial over it. You see, I don't want to punish my parents. My goal here is to educate about child abuse, and to teach about the link between child abuse and incidents of depression, anxiety, etc. I work in healthcare, and my sister is a psychologist. We want to help other adult survivors, and educate about child abuse. Thank you.

B

Beverly T

Just an idea on you book

I am from Texas and want to write my own book also.I am thinking of using names other than the real ones. Just using the truth of the facts, feelings and events.Just something to think about and check it out. I have not looked into it.But I will before I do it myself.
Good luck and God bless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">