• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting in Arizona... Questions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fersurexx

Hey, I'm 15 and I got caught shoplifting from a mall store in Arizona. I know that what I did was wrong and I know it was stupid and now I'm trying to write an essay about all the consequences and cost, etc. of shoplifting. The only problem I'm having is finding out what will happen to me. The total was $260.00 and it was my first offense. Can anyone tell me what might happen or what the judge is going to say when I go to court?

JETX

Can anyone tell me what might happen or what the judge is going to say when I go to court?
It is entirely up to the court so no one can guess. Count on at least the following:
1) You will have to let your parents know.
2) You should have an attorney.
3) You will get, at best, some type of community service, probated sentence, criminal record.

fersurexx

My parents already know, but we don't have the money for an attorney. Thanks for the advice though.

Do you think I will end up going to juvenile jail for a first offense?

Antigone*

My parents already know, but we don't have the money for an attorney. Thanks for the advice though.

Do you think I will end up going to juvenile jail for a first offense?
I personally think jail for first-time offenders would be a good thing. I think a little time in a cell with "Bubba" might just be enough to scare a kid straight.

You might want to start looking for ways to earn money: dog walking, washing cars, yard work. I wouldn't recommend babysitting - I wouldn't want you as an example for my kids.

This way you can pay mom and dad back for all the fines and restitution you will end up being charged. Hundreds, honey...we're talking hundreds of dollars for your I-have-to-have-what-I-want-when-I-want trip to the store.

Hope you learned your lesson, it will be an expensive one. :(

The Occultist

First time shoplifting offenders in AZ will not see jail time. Although retaining an attorney would definitely be in your favor, I suppose it is not strictly necessary. You will likely see the following: community service, a light probation, and some nice fees (the word "nice" in this context is heavily laced with sarcasm, as it will not be nice at all). There are a couple of fees you will end up paying; one will be to the courts, and one will be to the business. It is also very likely that you will be banned from the business, either permanently or for a period of time such as 6 months.

Why are you trying to write an essay about your experience? Are you bored or is the store making you pull a Bart Simpson and write 1,000 times that you will never shoplift again? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">