• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mom's death/estate rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Poodlebabe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. I Live in PA but my mom and half sister lived in Sacramento, CA. I have not seen or talked to my half sister in over 20 years but I always stayed in contact with my mom. My mom did not raise me other than me living with her in CA for 2 1/2 years as a teenager, since she did not have custody of me. I'm 54 now and the last time I spoke with my mom was early last year 2007 when she called telling me how my sister was trying to get her house and put her in a home, and she begged me to let her come live with me in PA. She sounded somewhat drugged, and not coherant. I asked for and received permission to speak with her doctor then, and he said she wasn't doing so well after colon cancer. I asked why she was so medicated and he said my sister felt it made things "easier" for my mom, and that my mom asked for the tranquilizers and he couldn't turn her down he said. Last year my mom called me and said she was leaving me a large sum of money when she died. I didn't know why she was saying that or even what to believe since she didn't sound coherant then either and I never pursued that with her. I received a letter last week from a Teamster's Pension Fund telling me my mom had died April 17, 2008. I was never informed by my sister, who has claimed in probate (I viewed public records and spoke to the probate office) that she was the only child, which she signed that paper(perjury?). I was calling for a lawyer today and one that I reached said she had actually represented my mom because my sister was filing for dementia earlier this year regarding my mom. She said my mom stated to her that she didn't remember having another daughter************** and then this lawyer said that my sister had no idea where I was because no one had talked to me in many many years. This is so untrue. My mom was calling me up until last year. Do I have any rights to the house my mom left? So far it seems there was no will, but then I wonder how did the Teamsters Pension thing find me at my address. Not only that but my mom came here to my present home 10 years ago to visit me. I have been at the same address for 11 years. Do I have a case worth pursuing? Her home is worth approx. $300,000. Interestingly many years ago (approx 12 or so) my mom had called me telling me she made me executor of her will, which makes me think somewhere a will was made years before. My mom even came to my wedding in 1984 in PA. She had always known where I was. I just never had contact with my sister after our teen years. Thank you for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">