• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney present. Do I *HAVE* to speak to the police?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sherard

I live in Ohio. I have noticed that everyone says I have the right to refuse to speak to the police without an attorney present. What if my attorney shows up and I still don't want to speak to the police? Are there any laws, state or federal, that say I HAVE to speak to the police once my attorney arrives?

calatty

You do not have to speak to the police, with or without an attorney, and you should not. That is what your Fifth Amendment right to remain silent is about.

B

borderaid

talk to police?

don't you need to respond to police questions in some states? If you don't I think that you can then be arrested... presuming you haven't been yet.

Texas.... do you need to respond to police question "do you have ID?"

And if you don't hear the request and the police do not say "stop" or "halt" or something... can you leave?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">